Wednesday 25 May 2011

Blog 8, Week 12: Mona Lisa Smiles :)


I never understood art. In fact I always hated art, for 2 reasons. Firstly I wish I could draw and never had that ability. Secondly, I never understood how someone could analyse a painting or sculpture from over a 100 years ago. Yet the world of art is changing and in a way that even I understand! Art has caught up with the 21st century, and has now seen how technology can be a powerful artistic tool like a paintbrush. The most exciting thing for me in this aspect is how the public is coming to the same realisation!

At the same time though there is new media art out there that I have no idea how it could be called art. Unfourtantley this is where my artistic ignorance comes to play.  Looking at teamingvoid’s blog, I have no idea how his idea could be considered art. Ironically I think that I still am a little bit old fashioned where I believe there still has to be some type of effort seen in terms of brush to paper.

I personally see new media art as art that is created using both old school techniques such as brushes and paint and new technology such as computers and even apps on iPhones! I see new media art as a binary between the old and the new.  However the concept of art is developing at an ever alarming rate and it is extremely pleasing to see that it is staying in touch and in time with the changing social world and technology and not staying outdated and in the past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment